Invisalign VS Braces
At Carson & Carson, DDS, we offer our patients an alternative to traditional braces with the Invisalign clear aligner. Compared to traditional metal braces or ceramic brackets (clear braces), the biggest differences are that Invisalign is a clear corrector that is virtually invisible and fits over your teeth rather than a bracket and bands system that is attached to your teeth. The catch with using clear correctors is that they often are paired with a slightly higher price tag.
Rather than having the brackets of your braces adjusted every couple of weeks, you may receive a new, adjusted Invisalign clear aligner every week that modifies the position of your teeth over time by resting on top of them. The Invisalign clear aligner is a removable treatment option unlike traditional metal braces.
The only real downside to using Invisalign is that this treatment is typically more expensive than metal braces because you are provided with a brand new, custom fitting aligner for every 1-2 weeks of time they are used.Contact an Orthodontist
Advantages of Invisalign
Invisalign offers quite a few distinct advantages over metal braces such as:
- It can be up 50% faster in the adjustment of the positioning of your teeth. Because a new Invisalign is worn every one to two weeks it can adjust your teeth in a much quicker time period, as opposed to having to visit your dentist or orthodontist every 2-4 weeks for adjustment of traditional braces. Inivsalign treatment also only requires a visit to the dentist roughly every 2 months.
- Invisalign offers more predictable movement of teeth than seen with traditional braces. A custom fitting clear aligner is a more predictable method because it is specifically tailored to each individual case, unlike traditional braces which are attached to teeth and work in a method of applying pressure to teeth. With more precise ability to shift teeth, Invisalign is more effective than braces at treating a wide variety of cases seen in dentistry.
- The ability to remove the Invisalign clear aligner is a huge benefit in terms of the comfort and quality of life that it offers patients when compared to metal braces. You can remove your aligners at your discretion or wear them with confidence because they are virtually unnoticeable.
- Invisalign has a color indication system that allows you to know when it has worn down and helps gauge the time that it should be worn.
- The Invisalign clear correctors are easy to store and care for. It is recommended that you clean your aligners with a light amount of toothpaste and water, and for added cleanliness, clean them with the Invisalign cleaning solution or a mild denture cleaner.
- Your teeth can receive whitening treatment simultaneously when using Invisalign to straighten teeth. Conveniently, the clear aligner tray can also be used to house whitening agents that will whiten your teeth as long as you’re wearing the aligners.
- Invisalign is a clear corrector that can be used at almost any age to correct a wide variety of problems. We have patients in their late 60’s that are able to use and travel with the Invisalign aligners quite easily and love this alternative solution to the hassle of traditional braces.
Clear Aligners Before and After
Schedule a Consultation
Things to Know before getting Invisalign – Cost of Invisalign, Retainers, & Diet Limitations
- The cost of Invisalign can be quite affordable, with averages near $3,500 in the United States. This is an all inclusive cost, but may be slightly higher or lower depending on the treatment required.
- Similar to traditional braces, most cases require the use of a retainer for a few months after treatment. This can help prevent any further shifting of your teeth after they have been straightened, and wearing your retainer consistently can save you a lot in the long run by preventing the necessity of future straightening.
- There can be some limitations in your diet choices when the Invisalign aligners are being worn. It is not recommended to drink anything other than water when wearing the aligners, and if you do happen to drink beer or coffee, you must brush your teeth before reinserting the aligners.
- Like anything pushing the positioning of your teeth around, Invisalign can be painful. If you encounter pain during your Invisalign treatment, the shape of the aligners can be adjusted or wax can be used to cover any sharp edges to make them more comfortable.
- The average treatment time when using Invisalign is between 6-15 months, with roughly 18-30 different aligners being used during this time period.
The Process of Invisalign Treatment
Your first consultation at Carson & Carson, DDS will entail a consultation about the importance of this decision from a dental and financial standpoint. This consultation will discuss whether or not Invisalign is a treatment plan that will work for your specific dental and financial needs.
If it is decided that Invisalign is a treatment option that will work with your case, then we will take precise 3D images of your mouth using a state of the art dental CT scan. From these images, we can design a custom treatment plan that maps out the exact movements of each tooth over time. The first few sets of aligners can then be produced.
Your teeth will move gradually over time when the aligners are worn 20-22 hours a day, and removed for certain occasions such as eating, brushing your teeth, or flossing. Each set of aligners is worn for roughly one to two weeks and only requires you to visit the dentist every 2 months.
Invisalign Treatment is a Clear Aligner That Will Work for Most Individual Cases
If you are interested in a comfortable, more aesthetically pleasing alternative to braces for straightening your teeth, then call us today at Carson & Carson, DDS to arrange an appointment to figure out if this is the right treatment for you (805) 983-0717. In our 45 years of experience serving as a premier Oxnard dentist since 1972, we have extensive experience in using Invisalign clear aligners to treat hundreds of various cases. Change your life today with Invisalign as a solution to straighten and brighten your teeth at Carson & Carson, DDS in Oxnard and Camarillo (805) 983-0717.Request an Appointment